Investing in your career can pay big dividends. Few would deny that there is value in specialized education that extends your knowledge base, enriches your experience and adds future skills. Expert professional resume writers also impact careers by opening doors to opportunity. So how do you choose a writer with the needed level of expertise?
First, a few caveats:
- There is a certain level of risk involved in hiring a writer because resume writers are not required to prove basic writing (or English-speaking) competencies; anyone can hang out a shingle and open such a business.
- While many writers claim to specialize in a certain function or title (e.g., medical sales executive, CFO), credible resume writers can write for any industry, because the customer provides needed buzzwords/industry jargon.
- Are you comfortable with an impersonal online service or do you prefer an in-person experience? What are your options if you are unhappy with the product(s) you receive?
- Price alone is not the sole indicator of quality, however, it is also generally true that you get what you pay for. If you’re looking for “one size fits all,” expect to pay less. If you want a distinctive product that clearly sets you apart from the competition, then you should expect to pay more.
Now, the recommendations:
- Make sure that the writer you choose has at least one credential from a reputable career industry organization that offers training resources and has rigorous quality standards.
- Ask who will write your resume – the person you are speaking/communicating with or a subcontractor with whom you will have no direct interaction.
- Ask to see writing samples and/or references.
- Verify that the writer knows how applicant tracking systems (ATS) work. Avoid resumes that are created with ATS-unfriendly templates featuring text boxes and graphics.
- Ask whether or not the writer invests in his/her professional development. Does s/he attend professional conferences to learn best practices and stay current on hiring trends?
- Conduct an online search of both the company and the writer you select to verify reputation, performance and results.